Betsy Eby’s paintings give the impression of organic, lyrical buoyancy and sprawl. As a Northwest native, Eby is influenced by daily observations of the old growth forests and natural phenomenon of petal blooms, migratory bird paths, flowing water, frost, and mist.
She is also influenced by a lifelong practice of classical piano. In particular, she pays attention to its compositional rhythms and poetic meter. Some of her works are an exploration of the synesthetic relationship between classical music and the visual experience.
Eby creates a sense of depth and movement in her work through the build up of multiple layers of beeswax. She is only finished when there is an intricate and lively interplay between receding and emerging forms.Download Full Bio
- Painting With Fire: A Visit With Betsy Eby Paris Review
- Painting is Silent Poetry with Betsy Eby Ikoness (download)
- Organic Composition Luxe (download)
- Classical music is the inspiration for fire-proofed paintings at Ogden The New Orleans Advocate (download)
- Betsy Eby’s ‘Beyond Measure’ at Winston Wächter Fine Art Blouin Art Info (download)