Canadian artist Tony Scherman is best known for his masterful encaustic techniques. In his paintings, pigment and wax create lush, textured, and dramatic surfaces. His portraiture and still lives are carefully imbued with a dream-like intensity. Also, the frenetic brush-strokes add to the arresting quality of his paintings.
Scherman frequently paints faces or imagery that is visually disconnected from the background. He often calls upon historical figures, events and periods. However, he evokes layers of deeper meaning by pairing his subjects with modern themes and symbolism.
He has exhibited extensively in the United States, Canada, and Europe. He has been featured in The New York Times, Art in America, Art Papers, and American Art Collector. His paintings are held in various public, private and corporate collections.Download Full Bio
- About Face Art In America (download)
- The Art of Downside Narrative Border Crossing (download)
- Margaret Thatcher, Serena Williams, and Malala Yousafzai Inspire Tony Scherman’s Portrait Series Artsy
- Southern Inspiration American Art Collector (download)
- Powerful Spirits American Art Collector (download)
- Outrageous Fortune Toronto Life (download)